Hello everyone! Long time, no blog. I’ve kind of stopped writing on here because I’ve just been way too busy! But now that my first quarter of Senior year (!!!!) is over, I thought I would share everything that I worked on these past 10 weeks! This quarter I had a pretty heavy workload because I took my first Senior class to start developing my Senior collection, an art history class, and a CAD pattern making class. CAD pattern making was definitely the most challenging class I’ve taken at SCAD so far, but also probably my favorite class. Basically I learned how to use Gerber Pattern Design Software to create and plot patterns, as well as digitize existing patterns, create tech packs, model editors, etc. The class had a really heavy workload and a very steep learning curve, but I ended up with a newfound love for patterning (which I never thought I’d say) and knowing this software is going to make patterning for my Senior Collection soooo much easier next quarter! For the first few weeks we just worked on patterning basic garments like cargo pants, different types of skirts, a shirt, a blazer, a dress, etc. And each class we had to come with the patterns printed, the tech packs and model editors completed, the technical sketch for the garment, and the completed garment sewn in half scale. So it was definitely a lot of work, but I’m super grateful for the learning experience. Here are a few of my half scale garments with their technical and spec sheets. (I forgot to take pictures of all of them, I think we did about 6.)
so after this half scale portion of the quarter was done, we moved onto our final project, which was recreating an entire designer look from the most recent runway shows. We were allowed to pick any look we wanted as long as it only involved making two pieces. I chose the brand Shrimps since they are known for their faux fur outerwear, which is what I love to do. I decided to recreate the Scorpio dress and the Zio jacket from their Fall/Winter 2019 runway show. The requirements were to pattern the whole thing, plot the patterns in full scale, sew a half scale practice garment, and then sew the full scale look. After we sewed the full look we were required to make a technical process book that showed every step of the process from start to finish, including pattern making, half scales, adjustments, and tech packs. So here is my final project!
and here is my final look!
As far as my senior collection class goes, it was pretty much just an ongoing process of developing the initial stages of the collection. I developed a mood/concept board, a muse board, fabrics and colors, about 50 initial sketches, an initial lineup (very much subject to change), two final technical flats, and two full muslin looks. Basically I had to make two of the looks for my collection in muslin first, because it’s a really cheap fabric that you can use just to make sure your patterns work and the silhouette is right. So I did two of those (they look really bad since they’re in muslin, so just imagine the design in colorful fun fabric that actually drapes right)
there were a few other random projects this quarter (like my art history project on the entire history of silk, etc.) but nothing else interesting enough to be worth showing on the blog. So there ya go! It was a great quarter but I am absolutely dreading next quarter because I know it’s going to be the hardest one yet…..so for right now I am chilling at home eating pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes and trying not to think about it 🙂
thanks for reading 🙂